Monday, August 20, 2012

Cycling the West-side Highway!

Sarah and I have been wanting to take Goldie ("Goldust") and Blacksmith out for a spin for the longest time. Whilst we have been waiting for the crazy heat to dissipate, I think I have also been a little nervous to cycle around Manhattan streets. I have cycled in the park in a few times with Ryan but never ventured out of it. I'm not sure why I am such a scaredy-cat considering I used to ride Goldie to work every day in Chicago. I guess there's just something about the courteous nature of New Yorkers and cab drivers that makes me what to whip out Goldie and fly down a hill without a helmet on! Anyway.. I must credit Sarah for helping me to get over this road block and explore Manhattan by bike. It was awesome! I kept on asking myself why I hadn't done this before! We tackled the west side of Manhattan on this trip from way up north where I live, all the way down to the Financial District/Battery Park City area and back. Obviously we had to explore the area a little too so we stopped at Stone Street for lunch at Smorgas Chef, a Scandinavian restaurant in an historic New York building.

Some tips for cycling in Manhattan:

1. There are in fact a decent amount of dedicated bike lanes in the city. If you are able to find out where they are before you venture out (a click on Google Maps should remedy this), I recommend it. Sticking to the bike lanes drastically reduces your risk of anything going wrong and you can pull off onto the pavement/sidewalk if necesary. 

2. Make sure you are able to mount and dismount your bike quickly because you may have to stop and start suddenly - i.e. ensure the seat is the correct height for your feet to rest partially on the ground. This may sound obvious, but I was riding Ryan's bike on this trip (as Sarah was riding mine) and even though, I figured it out, I would have felt better if my feet could actually touch the ground!

3. Having a basket on your bike is not only trendy and very New York but also very useful for storing your bag, your dog or your groceries. We have little zip-up bike bags under our seats for keys and cellphones too, which is convenient if you don't to take a big bag or your don't have a basket (Blacksmith is after all too manly for one).

4. Choose a quieter time to cycle. Whilst "quiet" may not actually exist in Manhattan, weekends are usually better for cyclists as they close off a lot of the main roads (e.g. no cars in central park over weekends..I think). I found the west side highway bike path to be busy in parts but overall totally manageable, and the streets to get there practically clear of cars.

5. Remember to take a moment, stand-up on your bike and re-enact childhood summer days of flying down hills. This will make you want to go again.

 Sarah giving Goldie a pep-talk before take-off. 

Hilariously, we literally stumbled into the Boat Basin Cafe, a restaurant right on the Hudson River, only to find that they have signs for bikes to go through the restaurant. Awesome! 

 
Just before stopping for lunch, we walked passed Fraunces Tavern, a historic landmark, where General George Washington is said to have bade farewell to his officers at the end of the American Revolutionary War in 1783!

Stone Street

When Caitlin was visiting in December, we went to one of the other Smorgas Chef restaurants in the West Village and had such a good time. I would definitely recommend both locations when visiting NYC.

 Goldie and Blacksmith enjoyed free parking alongside us while we dined.

Undoubtedly the most talked about guests at lunch. They even had "Puppy-razzi" so they had to perfect their poses every time. Ms Bull Mastif, on the right, weighs 160lbs (about 85kg), costs $2500 (+/- R20 000) per puppy and reminds me of a sea lion. Her drool was also just ridiculous and fascinating all at the same time.  

 The best way to see the city so far has been by boat or by bike! What next?!

4 comments:

  1. Very courageous!! Sounds wonderful!!! But think a little chilly for Dec. think by then your bikes need a much needed break ( if u get the idea!! No bikes 4 me Thks... 😊)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha - are you having SF flash backs?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilary bull mastif! i'm going to have one like that and bring it to moms house so it can drool all over the sofa!

    When did we go to smorgas?? cant rem?

    and also that route sounds really far!!!good for the leggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Smorgas with giggles and googles and had those strong cocktails.. and then went to spotted pig afterwards..

      The cycling route was far-ish but mostly flat and not too fast as you had to avoid the people. we can definitely do it. We also stopped for lunch on the way back. yums!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails