Sunday, November 7, 2010

Back to Reality!

After an insanely long period of time and back and forth, and answering questions about my life with "I'm not sure what's going to happen", and "I have to wait for step A, B, C to happen before X, Y, Z will come through", and "Oh I love filling out forms - I am going to be a professional form filler if  OT doesn't work out", I finally got my work visa to practice as an Occupational Therapist in the States. In the end this little sticker in my passport had the power to give me the rite (is that correct?) to live in the States and earn an income and finally settle down into something. I have been working for just over a month now at a sports medicine practice in downtown Chicago. I see a lot of broken wrists, and swollen hands and fingers and repetitive strain injuries caused at work. I am very fortunate in that I get to do what I love (Hands) and I am based primarily close to home (10mins by bus, 25 mins walk or 15 mins by bike) which helps when you no longer have a Petal (my car in SA) in which to travel. Here are a few pictures of my office. I understand that this may not be super thrilling to most but to me I am very grateful to have a job and a place to go and an opportunity to work in Chicago. 


My State license (you need to get licensed in each state individually in order to work there) and my business cards! I think having my own business cards was probably the most exciting thing about getting a job! Jokes.. that and the pay cheque! Jokes again! Obviously, it's about the joy and sense of satisfaction that I get from waking up every day and having a place to go! And, the power of being the breadwinner (for a short time only - stop getting so comfortable on the couch husband) and yielding the finances for the household.



 Splinting room. 

Supplies and where my magic steed lives during the day. I think my bike and it's granny basket are going to have to go into hibernation soon - not sure how much longer I can ride to work as it's often 0 C in the mornings when I arrive and when I leave at night. 

So yes, I have a job, this is not in my imagination. Long may it last! I just need to get a kettle, a proper fridge that won't freeze my milk as it does the ice-packs, and I am good to go! I have the instant oats and buttermilk rusks on hand and waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails