Sunday, November 7, 2010

Halloween!!!!!

As a South African, we are good at many things. Halloween unfortunately is not really one of them. Whether it's our hesitance to go trick 'n treating and get trick 'n hijacking or the fact that Hallmark hasn't really caught on, or that in this instance, we don't want to be American, I'm not sure. Either way, you haven't really experienced Halloween until you've trekked North. 

 
 
 

Halloween did kind of creep up on me because I had just started work and was adjusting to all that rather that plotting the perfect costume. Ryan and his friends decided to go as the cast of "The Big Lebowski" (I hope some of you have seen it so that you know what I'm talking about) and they kindly offered me the part of Tara Reid who spends the entire movie in a green bikini. Kind. Sweet. Thoughtful boys, only looking out for my best interests. I politely declined. But now the issue was, what could I be. Ryan came up with the ingenious plan to be a bowling ball as the movie is all about bowling. This is what I was supposed to wear for Halloween 2010:
 
Great, right? As you can see this is not me :( We ordered the costume online and thought we were so original and clever but unfortunately we got an email the day before Halloween saying that it would be unable to be delivered. I was so upset! But perhaps in hind sight, I had an easier time getting around not being a bowling ball. I ended up going to a Halloween shop and getting a Queen Bubble Bee costume. The bubble bee was also on the list as a classic for first time Halloweeners - usually when you're a baby - but hey I have a lot of catching up to do. Ta daaa! 
 

 No longer a bowling ball, a skittle or in a teeny-weeny green bikini, The Big Lebowski cast had to stand sans props. That's ok. They looked awesome.


Hui was preparing to change into her Solo cup costume which initially I had absolutely no idea what that was. Turns out a solo cup is just that - one of the red plastic cups with a white rim that you use for beer and picnics. She and a whole bunch of others all dressed as solo cups wearing black pants and a read T-shirt with the word 'solo' in big white letters somewhere on them. Inventive if not slightly obscure.

As previously implied, the Americans go all out on Halloween. Swathi and Adam (see our first American wedding) have recently got a puppy, Dexter. Weirdly enough he was a Bubble Bee too in the doggie parade near their apartment.

 
  The rest of the doggies!! For Nala and Fatness below: (If you were American, with ketchup)
 Darth Vader Doggie.
 Snookie from the Jersey Shore. I thought she was supposed to be Cher..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails