Sunday, November 7, 2010

Welcome Back to the USA



Our Apartment
September and October appear to have flown by! I realised this when I wanted to add new posts of the current events. How could I blog about November if I pretend that September and October never existed? So now I am filling in the blanks since the last posts on Italy. Apologies for the delay. Since I have started working, I naturally have had a lot less free time and things like uploading photos and descriptions tend to fall by the wayside. I hope to get back on track though with the next few posts, starting where the heart is.. at home. The initial pictures are what greeted us when we returned to Chicago from London and had to sift through all the boxes and duplicate furniture to find the floor. A dear friend had moved all our stuff and his own into our apartment so that when we arrived, we would at the very least have a place to sleep. Everyone's furniture is now in it's respective apartments and besides the bikes in our living room, order has set in. Before and after shots are always fun with some window shots thrown in to show the changing of the seasons.


What greeted us when we arrived!

The outdoors appeared so much more organised than the indoors! This is the view from our living room window.
In the foreground is Millennium Park and the amphitheatre used for gatherings, Obama rallies and summer concerts. Immediately behind is a baseball field I think and out on Lake Michigan is the Planetarium and the Field Museum.
 

 Fast track by a month and you'll see the scenary has changed. This is what greets us in the morning! 


Long may the leaves on the trees last! The colours are intense - they almost don't look real! That's North American autumn for you! And below, the colours have changed indoors too! Our apartment is a far cry fom super stylish but bit by bit we have improved it so that it is liveable and cosy. We can't do too much to it because a) we don't own it b) this costs money and c) inevitably we will be moving again next year. So, we've bought some essentials and put up some pictures on the walls and filled the kitchen with some baking fragrances. Good enough for now!

(Excuse the bikes in the living room - they have not been banished to the basement quite yet and unless they live in the bedroom, this is the only other place for them to stay! Student digs.. well yes I guess so... )




I assembled the 4 seater dining room table/my desk all on my own - even the chairs. When I ordered the table, I assumed it came with chairs.. uh no.. that'll be extra! So for a few days we had a table and no chairs. It was fun putting it all together though - I hope I can deassemble it when we have to move! 
 
Now with a table cloth and wedding pics above.

I think we need a new coffee table... We inherited this coffee table from the previous apartment. Amazingly when I tried to move it and one of the legs buckled, the glass did not break... So now it's back in it's original place. Needless to say, this table is not accompanying us to New York!

Fruits of the kitchen. Some "Ouma" style rusks for work and tea in the mornings. Now I need to get a kettle for work and a fridge that won't freeze my milk (we only have a deep freeze at work for ice-packs for sore joints).. Then the rusks can come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails