Sunday, November 7, 2010

Back to the Homeland

As part of my crazy whirlwind tour in September, I returned to South Africa on the back of a return ticket and a ton of air miles. The idea was to go back home and renew my legalised life (passport, drivers, visa etc etc) and enjoy the time at home before I started working in the States. With the imminent frugal time off system, I will probably be unable to return for a long time. It was a whirlwind visit spent at the Dept. of Home Affairs, the American Embassy and a quick stopover in JHB to see the special Northern Folks. For those of you that I got to spend time with, thanks for accommodating me, I hope the next time we see each other, I can be the one offering you the place to stay :) In between the admin crush, I did get to do some cool stuff though and definitely got my doggie fill - although I want a puppy more than ever now. Enjoy. 

JHB
For my whirlwind 3-day trip to Joburg, T suggested that I take the Gautrain from the airport and meet her in Sandton. This was really exciting. After having my fill of the London Tube, I thought I knew what underground trains look like. The Tube is great, don't get me wrong, and I wish we had a public transit system like that in SA and even in Chicago, but the Gautrain is brand spanking new, shiny and smells like it's just come out of the box. It was so convenient and cool to get to take a trip on it. I have kept my card as a memento and hopefully I'll be able to use it again. I'm hoping Cape Town will get a CapeTrain? too. I'm sure it's in the pipeline. 


I got to see some unexpected friends in JHB which I was really happy about. Alex and I were invited to an impromptu braai at the Derman's. I really wished Ryan could have been there with us. But now that Ryan and Adele are in Canada, we'll have to recreate the experience in North America. Bagel Derman, featured below, is now Canadian Bagel Derman and in this picture he is giving us  the eyes about taking the 3 day plane ride to get to the snow!

"When I arrive in Canada, are you seriously going to make me wear a jersey? Ssssiss! That's for girls! I can take care of myself!"
 "I'm only immigrating if Fibi can come with me. (Secretly) I need her special powers of protection from those rof Northern hounds" 

My sssssister has been volunteering at the Stellenbosch SPCA for several months now. Every Friday she spends some time feeding the dogs, washing blankets and playing with the puppies. Dream job! I was in heaven!


 I can't get enough - look how much they love each other!! I want one!!! sniff!! 

On my last day before the long trek back to Chicago (and to my husband! next time you are coming with me!) we went to Hidden Valley restaurant in Stellenbosch. Despite the time of year, the Western Cape did not disappoint with some dramatic and wet scenery. It had a very King Lear feel and I guess it matched my mood of leaving SA. I do feel, however, that being away from home means that I enjoy it so much more when I come back. Sometimes you have to leave to gain some perspective.


 Sssss

Farewell De Zalze - don't change too much while I'm gone. I'll be back before you know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails