Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thames River Tour - Gotta do the sights!

When you have no job, limited funds and lots of free time, what do you do? You pick up the free HSBC guide that everyone gets at Heathrow airport and you do the suggested activities in there. So on Wednesday, I decided to venture out into the City and do the River Walk. In accordance with the location of each major landmark, their respective picture (for proof purposes) follows, with a brief description. Of course. 

1. Big Benjamin

Iconic - I took millions of pics of Big 'Ol Ben from all the angles. You'll see the time changing. Caught him at midday too. I also really understood the power of the zoom when I could see the sculptured work on Ben in these pictures.

 
2. A beautiful photo of.. I don't know what.

This building is right next to Parliament and Westminister Abbey. Perhaps AlexAlice can help out again with naming this one? I'm not even sure if this is the front but I liked the sky and the proportions in the photograph, so it made the public appearance (blog).

3. Westminister Abbey

There was a lot of construction going on around the front of Westminister. And I would have risked my life crossing the road at noon to see the entrance so this will have to suffice. :) 

4. Parliament and Big 'Ol Ben on the Thames


 5. London Eye-ball

 For you mom too because I  know you love heights and can't wait to take that helicopter trip with us from Vegas across the Grand Canyon.


6. Freaking hilarious... is all I have to say.



There just are no words. It was too funny. Let me know if I need to expand on this explanation further. 

7. Somerset House
 
Again, I need to research this one because apparently (according to the HSBC promotional guide), 'this leafy length of riverside (on the south bank of the Thames) is always busy with crowds enjoying the views across the water to Somerset House'. There were no crowds when I was there and all I could see were these trees in my way. What is the deal with Somerset House? Pray, do tell. 

8. London Bridge
At least I hope it is... otherwise it's Tower Bridge.. but I am fairly confident that this is the one the nursery rhyme was talking about falling down. 

9. This was an awesome man who was missing a head. Unfortunately these lil blighters thought he was fascinating too and got in my way of my super picture. I thought it was a pretty clever act. 


10. For any Herschel girls out there... this one is for you (and Mrs Crutchley and Ms Baws)

Shakespeare's Globe currently showing Henry the VIII - definitely an upgrade from Maynardville..

6 comments:

  1. London eye? Might just be persuaded to go on a ride! Need to be educated as had a very quick visit last time and it all whizzed past me so quickly having to hold on to 2 little girls and keep up with giant steps who thought he knew where he was going and go he did. Also cant read maps so pls highlight yours and keep it for me. Grt photos all round!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chameleon thing is hilari! Sexy is looking very sexy! and dont go on the london eye.. i have been on it and it sucks!!!pity i"m not there to keep you company

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'll keep my map for you mumsy! Maybe by then you will have an i-phone and you can use google maps and gps so it tracks where you are walking! The London Eye goes very slowly so I think you would be fine. C says it's not that good, so you'll have to ask her opinion too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Maybe by the time I get taken there - no alone trips to Heathrow!!! they will have upgraded London Eye. Waterfront (C T) has something of an eye. Dont really need to go on that one. Actually rather have a 'tour guide' (someone who talks and knows where they are going - in other words a real navigator) so will be patient and wait for the 'right' time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just to let you know...that was Tower Bridge (the pretty draw bridge one) -London Bridge is in fact, very unexciting...not really worth being photographed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails