Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Something a little different! La Gelatina Encapsulada

So every now and again I receive gifts from patients. It's usually food in the form of chocolate or lunch or sweets. I have learned about tamales, burritos, Puerto Rican rice and even unique American easter eggs or chocolates that they eat around then, but this week I definitely received my most fascinating food yet! La Gelatina Encapsulada directly translates as encapsulated gelatine or jelly or jello, and is basically decorative, edible, amazing-looking flowers set into a jelly mold or cake. 
 
Here is the first cake made for a colleague of mine and our therapy department:
 Here is the second cake that I took home.


Here Fleur and I are experimenting and deciding what this thing actually tastes like! 
Cross-section!

So fascinated where we by this cake-jelly that I researched how it's made. I originally thought that the flowers were in a mold submersed into jelly but in hindsight I realise that would have been too complicated with such a fragile material. Here is how it is actually made: 


I also realised how clever they are to apply the white "milk" jelly on the bottom - it covers up the holes made by the needle and syringe when the cake is turned over. Very smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails