Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dolphins Here We Come!


So I have been in Panama City for a little over a week now. It feels like so much longer – not sure if that is a good thing or not. The idea of swimming with wild dolphins has many layers of altered comfort zone-ness for me. As most of you know, I am self-labelled pigmentally-challenged. This means that I do not have a lot of pigment in my skin and therefore do not go a crispy shade of brown as most of you do. I am not completely destitute of melatonin and I can up my tan shade under pressure. However, this is not what I normally like to do and I am terrified of the creeping wrinkles around my eyes at the tender age of 26. Oh well: genetics, the harsh South African sun for 2 decades, and the general condition of being human and needing sunlight have all contributed to this. Guess I will have to live with it as I have a long way to go.

So back to the dolphins. I have done many things in the past 10 days that I didn’t think I would be able to do.

1. gone a boat exposed to the elements for several hours at a time every day of the week

2. swum in the sea on numerous occasions with snorkel gear and salt water up my nose and in my eyes

3. swum with dolphins!!!!!!! holy moly!

4. flung myself (ok gingerly lowered myself) into ice-cold natural spring water and actually enjoyed exploring the limestone caves that supply the refreshing supposedly youth-inducing crystal springs!

So I think it’s much more interesting for most people to see pictures and videos rather than seeing mountains of text so I am going to try my darndest to take good pics of the dolphins. Those are slippery creatures and it’s really tough to take good photos of them but I will try my best whilst I am here!! Enjoy the pics and I hope you laugh a lot

2 comments:

  1. how do u manage to swim with them because they swim so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You jump in as quickly you as can! And hope for the best. Usually you can hear them singing even if you can't see them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails