Sunday, November 17, 2013

I Heart Chicago (and all the people in it).

After being away for two years, nearly to the day, it was very special to be able to return to the first city we moved to when we first came to the US almost four years ago. It's incredible how 1) the grass is always greener and 2) one gains perspective with distance. As with Cape Town, I don't think I appreciated Chicago enough while I was there. Going back now, I see the city through different eyes. We made some lasting friendships there - our first group of friends in the States - we started our lives over there and we learned how to cut it in the big, bad world (well debatable)! Those are all qualities of a place that should not be taken lightly. Going back to Chicago really allowed me to appreciate it's space, beauty, charm and the people in it. We managed to catch up with a lot of people over the weekend which was great. Thank you also to our wonderful hosts, Mat and Fleur, complete with kitty Jemima, who helped make the weekend very cozy and fun for us! I can't say that I didn't imagine moving back to Chi and living in their gorgeous neighbourhood! Some highlights: 

 
 Chicago skyline from Lincoln Park overlooking Lake Michigan. How beautiful is that?!



 The most incredible foliage in Lincoln Park.

Beautiful babas (and their moms) everywhere! I was spoiled with cuddles! 

 

 

 


Miss Jemima, as in puddle duck, not maple syrup was a gracious host. She kept us company and our bed warm and never failed to amaze me with her ability to knock objects off the counters! 






 
 Thanks guys!! Hopefully it won't take us another 2 years to make our way back. And, in the meantime, come and visit us in NYC!


2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails