Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Trip Across The Pond.

A few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to pack my little (I only took hand luggage!) suitcase and flit across the pond for a bit of a girly adventure. I should dub this the "cream tea" holiday because I feel like we ate nothing but scones, breakfast, noon and night but in fact, it was also filled with a lot of laughter, friends, brollies and train-tripping. 

Despite only being in the UK for nine days, we ventured halfway across the country from Bath to York and back to London and then some, seeing as many varied landscapes as the people that came with them. It was a whirlwind trip but I am so grateful that I got to spend some quality time with some of my favourite people. Let's jump into some highlights! 

Our first adventure took us to Steve and Shell's farewell at their beautiful home along the Thames. It was a bittersweet evening as they are returning to South Africa which is sad but happy that they can be close to family and beautiful sunshine.

It was a momentous occasion in it's own right, but this night happened to be the day that baby Hudson started crawling. He had a big audience but those cups had no chance! Go Hudson, go!

 After the farewell it was time for some hard-earned pub fish and chips! Love these ladies!

This picture represents many a train and platform that we waited it at, but I thought it was so cute! Off to Fortnum and Mason for high tea. See below.



The next day we packed our bags for our first trip to Bath - home of Jane Austen (for 5 years), Roman Baths and quaint little streets. It also hosts a thriving uni and is only an hour or so out of London so a definite must if you're in the Somerset area. 
 
 The famous Bath Circus designed by architect John Wood in 1754, and a feature in Jane Austen's books.


      A trip to Jane Austen's museum wouldn't be complete without a bonnet, no? 


 The original Roman Bath.



Yum!

 I found my shop!

 If anyone gets anything handmade from me for Christmas I apologise. I was inspired by this place!


After Bath, we returned to London to take another train to York. Having now experienced both the New and Old York, I'm not sure I see a lot of resemblance but considering original York's historical significance, it is fair to say that the British had high hopes when naming the New one. 
  


 One of the many cream teas we scoffed!

 York Minster - one of the largest gothic cathedrals in Northern Europe

 

 

After York we travelled once more to London where we boarded another train to Hampshire. What greeted us were familiar, friendly faces, the sweetest, coziest cottage and a lot of Labrador love. Thanks for having us Anne and Rob (and Parker and Molly!)!




 



Farewell ol' England. Until we meet again. Jolly old chap. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails