Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Catskills (or should I say Dogskills..)

This weekend we finally took a trip out of New York City altogether. It takes a lot to tear Ryan away from work (he just loves it so much) so even though Mila and I went up a day earlier, he still made it out for the weekend and it was great for all of us to have a change of scenery. However, we were not alone.. there were eight of us all together in a massive log cabin in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone reception, surrounded by forest and coyotes. Awesome! I had heard that the Catskills was a beautiful, mountainous area spanning four counties in upstate New York, not too far from the city. Sounds good. 

Whilst googling pet-friendly accommodation I came across this amazing property and knew that I had to stay there! With a house this size (5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a pool table, private lake, 54 acres of land, etc), I knew I needed a larger team that just Ryan and I, and our tiny furchild, so I sent out for more recruits, some in our very own building, some from Chicago and some from Baltimore. Organising a weekend with everyone's schedules can be a little tricky but by some miracle we made it work and despite the shortened stay, we had a wonderful time. 

I have decided to rename the Catskills (a bizarre name to say the least) the Dogskills as arguably Mila and Normie (who you will meet further on) had the best time of us all. No leashes, sniffing restrictions, poisoned peanuts (to kill pigeons in Central Park - another whole story) or unfriendly pet owners - just mud, organic country frog legs, clean water, unlimited space and 5 different beds to jump on should the yearning arise. Doggie Heaven.
 Log cabin 101.
 Doggies looking to explore the jetty.
 
Mila was a little hesitant to go for a full-on swim as she had been forewarned of the friendly leaches in the lake. But never fear, she had Capt. Norman to clear the way for her.
  
 
 Capt. Normie - my hero!
Whether I am in NYC or in the country, I am still Queen Mila!
 Our own forest?! Yes please!
 
Bananagram smack-down!
 
 
 
 
 Yum! 
 
 Capt. Normie after a long day of "frolicking"!
 
 
 
 Bev made a new friend!
 
 What a busy weekend! Time to get my snooze-on!
 
 
Morning mist coming off the lake. 

So I would say it was a pretty successful weekend! We definitely don't do this kind of thing enough. I'm hoping that this year, we can properly settle down and do more local trips to get to know the wider New York area. Let me know if you're keen for some adventure!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails