Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How To Survive Winter Running

 
I don't have a lot of experience running in the cold. In fact, I would go so far to say that I have none. The reasoning is twofold. Firstly I grew up in (comparatively) balmy South Africa where I never saw snow on the ground - ever, and secondly I didn't really run, so hence the zero experience with the zero temperatures and the pressure of training for a half marathon. Inspired by Ashley from neverhomemaker who blogs about running in a similar climate to mine (although they have it worse upstate), I compiled my own winter running guide to get me through the long runs whilst training. P.S. Not training is not an option. I tried that - it did not work out well for me - so I am left needing to be creative to ensure that I don't slip and break something and complete the miles. P.P.S I "wrote" this blog post in my head (with bullet points on my phone) whilst completing my 10-miler yesterday. I'm walking the talk! 

Tips and tricks:

1. Now is not the time to show skin. I have been experimenting with the right gear for the ever-changing weather. Is it slushy? Is it freezing? Is it sunny? Is it snowing? Is it windy? It's tricky to know what is essential and what to leave behind. Plus you don't want to be carting unnecessary layers around and be sweating and then freezing and then completely uncomfortable. For me I've found that a dry wick T-shirt, a layer of fleece and then a light outer layer (preferably something that keeps out the wind but isn't bulky) works best for the top and some tight long running pants for below. Then my rule is to cover exposed skin, so ears, hands and neck and when it's hard core below freezing, wearing a buff or ski-mask to cover my face. I also almost always wear sunglasses which protect my eyes from the sun and also from the glare of the snow. But I'm weird that way. 

2. Be practical. Especially for longer runs, take a back-up plan. Carry an ID (or tell someone where you are running or better yet get someone to track you on their phone if you go radio silent - I'm pretty sure my husband would love to track me on the "find my friend" app and send out the stealth helicopters!), carry some cash and carry a metro card or have a way of getting home should your run end unexpectedly. You. Never. Know. And it doesn't affect your running to carry those small items with you. I also carry a spare house key with me instead of my actual keys (and keep it in a zippered pocket in my running pants so it ain't going nowhere) so I don't have to run with a bunch of keys and in case no-one else is home when I get home, freezing and tired and need to get in, stat!

3. Refreshments. They say carry the type of snacks or treats that you would want to run with on race day. I think for anything over 6 miles (give or take an hour of running) you may want to have some energy gummy bear things or sweets or dried fruit just in case and perhaps a small bottle of water. I have a small handheld water bottle that I run with in summer and I don't tend to feel the need to drink water in the winter until I get home but perhaps that is not very smart.. I also use refreshments as motivation. I promise myself at mile 2 or 3, I get one ener-jelly thingie and then again 2 miles after than ad infinitum. Hey man, whatever works.

4. Keep them (yourself) guessing. For my long runs, I tend to try and discover a new route each time or do an old one that I haven't run in ages. For this past run, I returned to run across the Queensboro bridge which I haven't run in almost exactly a year and when last time I ran it, I couldn't run home due to my silly knee. It was time for a refresher and it added a good 2.5 miles to my distance and kept me entertained with some pretty spectacular views.




5. To jam or not to jam. I usually run with headphones and listen to podcasts (I'm into this one and this one and sometimes this one whilst running), I find I get into the stories perhaps more than songs but if I found a song I was really into then I can use that too but probably not for 1.5-2hrs. I would also like to try an audiobook but haven't tried that as of yet. I prefer speaking to tunes for distraction. For this most recent run, I didn't listen to anything but used the time to work things out in my head, "write this" (!) and enjoy the scenery. I even happened upon an ice-rink! Either way get headphones that won't fall out of your ears whilst running and feel comfortable enough that you forget they are there. I have these which I like a lot.


6. Plan a little ahead. For a long run (hr+), it's probably advisable to eat a little "something something" before you head out especially if it's in the morning. I usually go for the neutral palate myself - a little oats, some dried fruit, maybe some toast and a small cup of tea for the wake-me up and the caffeine which often gives you a better workout. This being said, make sure you go to the bathroom before (nothing worse than needing to pee and be miles from home) - a good rule of thumb is get up an hr or so before you plan to head out in order to have something to drink and be ready before you start. 

7. Safety first. Whilst I would love to say that I can run 10miles without ever stopping, even in a race situation this is pretty unlikely. You will probably stop to have some water or tie your shoes or run around someone. I have been given the green light to stop for a minute or so by my PT and fellow runners so if you need to stop before turning around or to take a photo, just do it. Rather stop and rest briefly than kill yourself. And especially in icy and slippery conditions, always slow down and walk and hold onto something rather than slip and fall on black ice. It's just not worth it. 

8. Pace yourself naturally. I usually start my runs in the park where I can do 3-4 miles uninterrupted if I want to and then I head out to the street to the east or west side where invariably I will have to stop for traffic or slow down. This automatically changes my pace and allows me a mini break from long stretches. I then will finish up on a stretch where I can run uninterrupted on my way home. Works for me. 

9. Use ye olde weather forecast to your advantage. Look at the days each week that you have available to run, and in the winter, pick the warmest. There will likely be negligible degree amounts between days but you never know, you could get a more dramatic change in weather and benefit from doing your long run when it's above freezing rather than below. Usually the warmer days are more overcast and the bright ones, frozen solid so follow the sun to try and get some vitamin D, lift spirits and keep you a little warmer. In the morning, run towards the east and in the afternoon, stick to the west side as the sun is setting.

10. Have fun and be grateful that you can run. Every now and again (more like every now) when I'm really not feeling like venturing out, I try and remind myself that it is a privilege to be healthy enough to run (for fun) and to use the sport as an opportunity to see more of my surroundings, discover hidden areas and achieve something I really set my mind to. 

Have fun everyone and stay safe!


And if running just ain't your thing in the winter months, find a snow-covered hill, a sled and a Dachshund and have a ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails