Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Million Pound Question... So, Julie, umm what do you DO all day?

Yes, yes, we're in London for a couple of months, I don't have a job due to various unforeseen circumstances (largely beyond my control... ggrr NHS grrr British governance grrr inefficiency grrr I discovered the joys of not working grr will I ever be able to work full-time again? grrr), my husband works all day and night and I am trying not to spend too much money.. so what do I do all day? 

Well funny you should ask (and you and you and you and you) but when you are left on your own a lot, it is amazing how creative one can be. We don't have a TV or high-speed internet (the latter by which I was much accustomed in Chicago - hulu - I will see you soon!) so this left me with an opportunity to buy a radio and a whole lot of second hand books on Amazon. I have now developed a healthy rhythm of doing domestic chores (which aren't a lot at all seeing as no-one is home for meals except maybe for a speedy breakfast), listening to the radio (I need to be informed about the society that I am potentially going to live in), cross-stitching (a habit from childhood to make spending time in front of the TV worthwhile..), meeting my husband for lunch and attending theatre productions at least once a week! Throw in one or two trips to the country, regular dinner with some family and London exploring and I have had a pretty awesome summer. I think once I am back in Chicago in -20 C weather working and living in the American way of life, I will look upon this time fondly and wistfully. That being said, I am excited to start work again as I don't think 'professional cross-stitcher' is a very lucrative career. Never mind the crick in the neck.. 

Evidence...

  I finally finished this Oriental lady - I started her at the beginning of the year but never really got round to finishing her. Finally. Not sure what I'm going to do with her or where I'm going to put her.. 

I think this one will be for our kitchen in Chicago. The walls of our apartment (which I haven't seen) I assume are very bare and need some cheering up. 

Books
All the following books are available from Amazon. I borrowed a few and found a few in the local supermarket and ordered some for 1p second hand (excluding postage) from Amazon - wow a great service - wish we had a local one in SA - Kalahari.net just doesn't cut it. Here are some good suggestions for summer/winter reading which I highly recommend.









Enjoy!

P.S. after to listening to LBC (London's Biggest Conversation) radio station, I am not sure that I want to live in the UK... seems to be a few problems to say the least.. When I am back in the States, I am going to have to give it the same treatment and brush up on my current US economical, political and social affairs so that I can make an educated decision about where to settle down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails